Friday, March 4, 2011

Thoughts and Experience on Assignment 1 (Camera-less Filmmaking)


Thoughts and Experience on Assignment 1 (Camera-less Filmmaking)
 The camera-less filmmaking assignment we had for our first assignment was really fun and I enjoyed it thoroughly.   Honestly though, it left me feeling a little uneasy working in such a small area on the filmstrip (frames) and not knowing what you're end result will look like until you view it in class. I was little worried how it would come out because we weren't able to view it while or after you were making the film unless you had a projector of course. When we viewed the film on the projector I was very pleased overall and thought it turned out to be pretty sweet. 
 The pacing was definitely different than what I had imagined, everything seemed really quick. I wish I had drawn out and scratched several more frames on some of the animations I had done, so that they would have lasted longer. But when it’s a quick flash of animation or image, there is a subliminal message feel to it. Making the viewer ask himself, did I just see that?
 It was fun experimenting with different camera less filmmaking techniques. The layering of multiple techniques really gives the film a unique, funky effect and really makes the possibilities endless depending on the imagination and creativity of the filmmaker. One example of this in our film was using the rayograms but where we’d twisted the rayograms w/contact printing on it, we filled the clear space in with magazine and newspaper transfers as well as coloring it in with some oils and paint We also did some with Sharpie colored markers which turned out to be a cool idea. 
 I shared my film with a friend of mine who is also a Film major. He hasn't been lucky enough to take 6 x 1 yet and he seemed pretty impressed by our film. So much so that he asked if he could use it in his documentary that he's working on this semester. Needless to say that positive feedback from him made me feel even better about the end result.
 I really enjoyed seeing some of the other group’s films too. From the ones I’ve seen I feel like everyone put in a lot of time, planning and effort into what they were doing. I was pleasantly surprised at how good all of them came out. I could definitely see myself doing more of this type of filmmaking in the future. I love the anticipation of seeing the end result; it’s like getting a surprise on Christmas morning.


1 comment:

  1. I really like the way you included some stills from your film and how you bookended your thoughts with them. I'm interested to know how the film is worked into the documentary.

    ReplyDelete