Monday, April 18, 2011

My Rough Theater


My Rough Theater

Well another project down and the semester is coming to an end, it’s crazy how fast it’s gone by. It must be because I’ve been having so much fun in my classes and especially 6X1. It really blows my mind how much we’ve learned and accomplished in this class in such a short amount of time.

I let myself stress out over the assignments sometimes, especially the last one, the 48-hour video race with the prop being the theme of MY SECRET. I think the reason I get so stressed, is because I one who always like to feel like I’m in control f a situation and going into these assignments where its kind of sink or swim leave me feeling little helpless because I feel like I’m trying to do some of these assignments on the fly, “off the cuff” if you will. I think that explains the term Rough Theater totally. In my experiences with Rough Theater have been just that, I usually get a little worried that my project is going to be crap, then after all is said and done. It usually turns out better than I had initially thought. This is due to the unexpected twists and turns that take place while trying to work with what you have available. My mind starts churning and gong into overdrive trying to figure out ways in which you can figure out how to incorporate your prop/theme and how you will achieve your goal with the restrictions and limitations that stand in your way.  

I think when people are put under pressure and deadlines their creative juices begin to flow and that is when some of the best ideas come out of the wood work. This has been true for several of the last projects that I would label Rough Theater. The animation, the Bolex long take , the 3d shoot, and now the 48- hour video race. They all have a very similar feel to them in the way that we are just working with what we have and trying to make something that is worth showing in front of our peers without feeling judgment. I’ve really enjoyed all of these exercises and think they have definitely made me see things in a new respect and help make me a better filmmaker. I didn’t realize how much this class would impact my life as a person and a filmmaker


No comments:

Post a Comment